This is the first time I’m actually coming out and saying what I’ve been working on. In my decade+ of cosplay, I’ve never hand-made everything entirely from scratch so I didn’t know if I could do it. And should I have failed, I didn’t want to embarrass myself.
But… It’s coming along!
I just got this (super long, super heavy) base wig tonight and immediately started working and suddenly realized I haven’t had dinner. But I’m so, so glad I took the arrow to the wallet and bought a new wig, because the buns were just not going to work with weft extensions.
Basically, I’m super proud I’ve managed to make the buns as a real hairstyle, i.e., no form-holder or trick glued or pinned in. It’s all hair, some ties, fewer bobby pins than I expected, and about a pound of hairspray!
This is obviously a WIP; I need to braid the other red weft and sew them both in, adjust the buns and trim a whooole lot of stuff… then for the best part, Frankenstein-ing a second wig in for the bangs because these wefts are just not full enough to make bangs, among other issues.
I have two weeks to go and I’d say the costume’s about 65% finished. The shirt and armband need minor adjustments, the pants are done, I’m not making the boots until the next event I’ll wear this to (nor the squares on the pants), I have temp tattoos in-hand, color lenses, and I still have to figure out how to make the big heart emblem on the chest. Oh, and the blue undergarment — that’s the project for this weekend.